Mess-Free Snacks for the Road: Potato Chips and Buffalo Cheese Straws
Every parent knows that when driving to the Gulf or wherever your spring break family vacation may take you, the goal is to get to the destination while making as few food and bathroom stops as you can manage.
If you’re driving through the South, chances are, you’ll be going through some pretty rural areas where it you may not have the luxury of making a quick stop for food. So while we can’t help you with the bathroom breaks, we can help you avoid a hungry child on your next road trip.
Moore’s Potato Chips
Just be sure to make these easy, mess-free snacks before hitting the road. Just package them in individual baggies so that you can easily grab them when one of the kids gets hungry. You may event want to invest in a food tote like this one
to make life easier and the car left a little bit cleaner.
Moore's Original Marinade
Potato or Tortilla Chips
1. Pour enough Moore's to lightly coat chips.
2. Put in the microwave for 10 seconds; serve.
½ Cup (1 stick) Butter, salted, room temperature
2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, room temperature
1 2/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
½ t. salt
4-5 T. Moore’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a mixer, cream the butter and the cheese.
3. Add Salt, Flour, and Buffalo Sauce and continue to mix until combined thoroughly.
4. Scoop the mixture into a cookie press fitted with a flat, ridged tip.**
5. Pipe the dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet in long strips and then cut in 2-3” rectangles with a sharp knife.
6. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
**If you do not have a cookie press available, you can refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes, then roll out on a lightly floured surface to ¼ “ thick. Cut into circles or small rectangles before baking.
2 tbsp. Moore's Original Marinade
1 12-oz box Crispix cereal
1 cup nuts
2 tsp lemon juice
Dash of sugar
½ tsp onion salt (or powder)
1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup pretzels
6 tbsp. margarine melted
2 tsp garlic powder
Dash of seasoned salt
1. Combine all ingredients with melted butter.
2. Bake in a 13" x 9" x 2" pan in the oven at 255° F for 45 minutes while stirring every 15 minutes.
3. Variations: Add and subtract seasoning to taste. Add bagel chips, puff balls, etc. to try different textures. Add M&M's after cooking for a chocolate kick.